The Pilot, the Plane, and the Engineerevergreen
- The Pilot’s job is to set the course of the plane.
- We should aim to spend about 10 - 15% of our time in this state.
- We should enter this state when we have the most clarity and mental headspace available to make important decisions about what to do for the day. This is why most people will plan their day first thing in the morning or last thing before the next day. Planning Your Day
- This state accounts for the useful component of the productivity equation.
- The plane’s job is to follow the course set by the Pilot and not deviate
- We should aim to spend about 80% of our time in this state.
- When we are in this state we should just focus on following instructions and not waste energy thinking about what the Pilot is doing.
- This state accounts for the Output component of the productivity equation
- The Engineer’s job is to make sure the plane is efficient. #
- Practically speaking, they need to keep the system organized and maintained.
- We should aim to spend between 5 - 10% of our time in this state.
- This state accounts for the Time component of the productivity equation.
Related Topics: Productivity